Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I've been thinking about this for awhile and thought I'd write a post on here discussing it. In When Our Worlds Collide, if you've read it, you know that I talk about some pretty uncomfortable topics. I don't think it has anything to do with the age of my characters that make people uncomfortable, but more of the tabooness (That's not even a word!). 

I was inspired to allow my characters to experience certain things in life that we all like to believe don't happen. Underage drinking, bullying, sex, sexual assault are things that happen in real life. They are things that happen everyday and the idea of pretending as if they don't isn't something that I'm willing to do. 

I think that it's important to be honest when I'm writing. I'll tell you the truth...writing certain parts of When Our Worlds Collide made me extremely uncomfortable. That being said, it was something that had to be said and had to be written to do my characters justice. The characters I write are personal to me and what they endure is personal to me. 

I hope everyone enjoys When Our Worlds Collide for what it is and that's a truthful story of falling in love for the first time and the rawness of being a teenager.

If you or someone you know has been a victim of rape, please contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE  

No comments:

Post a Comment